When we were born, first we received was Love and Smiles from our parents, relatives and family friends. When you opened up your eyes in this wonderful world, people around you got excited and greeted you with love and care.
In the midst of love and affection, there was something waiting for you desperately. We human being coined this ‘Criticism’.
Just imagine, you are sitting on an ecstatic beach in a wonderful evening and reading your favourite book. Sun is about to set, and waves and breeze are making your moment out of the world. Suddenly you hit by some disturbance, it could be a natural calamity or some manmade hindrance. Anything which convert your peaceful twilight hours into unfriendly and make you furious. How will you feel or react?
Criticism is just like such unwanted, demoralizing weeds which makes our day or life miserable and break us emotionally and we feel like our confidence is being crushed into pieces. No matter what we feel or how we react but people across enjoy our fall and believe me it gives them internal satisfaction and fulfil their egos.
Critics and Criticism, two simple words but these two words will surely smashes your life down.
Critics have criticised greatest leaders, sports personalities who have achieved impossible and list goes on and on. Not a single person is left out.
When a goalkeeper retires, people talk about his/her misses not the great saves s/he has made in career.
I have been criticised numerous times in my life and now am used to it. Actually now I love being criticised. Being a kid, my teachers, society have always criticised deeply and crushed my feelings. And this made me Strong, Mentally tough and I learned tackling them.
Take Criticism as a Pinch of Salt and we must convert it into Positive factors or Learning steps.
We must learn to handle our critics, their criticism, blame games, dirty tricks. People want you to react and waiting desperately for your mistakes. They enhance your mistakes.
Try these bellow listed steps to simply avoid them, learn from them and move on.
1. Never React/Argue – I blame you and you blame me twice. Game goes on and never come to an end. Finally we are the loser.
Say for example, you are in meeting or talking to your peer. If s/he is blaming you or criticising you, suddenly you come on aggressive mood and react. Never React or Argue. They are actually provoking you to react. And once you are caught in their web, at the end of the day you are the loser.
2. Never show Emotions – In such dirty games, if you outburst, you are finished. Try to control your emotions as much as possible. I believe emotions are beautiful thing and it must be kept for our family and loved ones not for critics.
3. Always be Silent – Never speak or interrupt them in between their unwanted talks. If you do, guess what, it hurt their egos. They are wasting their energy so better let them waste. Why we waste our by speaking or arguing? We must learn where to speak and where to be silent.
4. Wear Smile – Just smile when they are criticising. Don’t say a single word. Just wear smile on your beautiful face. Believe me it will break their Confidence and Morale.
5. Listen – Stay calm and calmly listen to them. If possible jot down their positive ideas in between negative atmosphere. As I always say, filter out negativity and take positive notes.
6. Forget after you leave their Territory – If you are still thinking about their blame games and criticisms then my dear friend they have won their battle. It may make you depressed, heartbroken and you feel low. After leaving, just simple flush out from mind and simply forget about everything. Go for a cup of Tea or some refreshments with friends and change your mood. If possible forgive them.
I have observed on various occasions, we get trapped in critic’s tricks and start reacting, arguing. They want us to react. They provoke us. If you are trying to prove something then at the end of the day they will have the last laugh. Believe in yourself, not what others say about you.
The best reply for any Critics and Criticism is BE SILENT and AVOID SITUATIONS.
Finally, I would sign off with this wonderful quote:
“Words are heavy thing, they weigh you down. If birds could speak, they couldn’t fly.”
Keep Smiling… 🙂